Ransomware (also known as Cryptolocker) is a type of malware that is widely used to extort money from the victim’s computer by attempting to delete important files and data. These are some of the most well-known attacks of this kind, but there are many others as well. Fortunately, though, the damage these types of threats can cause can be done in a number of ways:
* Ransomware is able to send different messages to the victim’s computer. Some of these messages may say they need to be paid and the money must be sent to an address that the threat actor sets up on the victim’s computer. This can be difficult to trace back, if you don’t know what to look for.
* Once the attacker has gotten the Bitcoins, they transfer them from the Bitcoin wallet to another one. The recipient’s address can’t be found on the computer; so the threat actor is free to spend the Bitcoins as they like. While this may appear to be simple to do, it could take several months to find the address.
* Ransomware encrypts the files before sending them to the attacker, leaving the victim without any way to access them. This results in the loss of documents or important data, which can take many months to recover. The only way to do this is to pay the ransom and retrieve the files.
* Ransomware usually will try to get the victim to pay first, when trying to recover the files. If the victim refuses, the threat actor will send other messages to try to get the person to pay.
* Though Bitcoin addresses are often listed on the ransom messages, they are often long strings of numbers and letters that are hard to decipher. Therefore, it is very difficult to recover lost or corrupted files that have been encrypted.
Unfortunately, you may be looking at all of these risks. One good way to make sure you’re not going to lose data you may need is to download a security program such as PSA and use it. This software can scan your computer for infected files, malware, viruses, Trojans, and worms and help you clean up your computer.
While the damage caused by Ransomware can be fairly devastating, the fact that it is not a well-understood system makes it possible for people to make poor understanding of it and fall for its scams. However, when a Bitcoin wallet address is found, files can be retrieved and you can regain your files.